Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Elliot Saltman Eligible for Volvo China Open

Lloyd and Elliott Saltman

Scotland's Elliot Saltman will return to European Tour golf from next week after serving his three-month ban.

Twelve events on the main circuit will have been staged during the period of Saltman's suspension, imposed in January after he was found guilty of a serious breach of the rules concerning the marking of his ball when he competed on the Challenge Tour last September.

But because of his ranking position - he came 28th at the qualifying school to earn his first crack at the riches on offer - the Edinburgh golfer has actually missed only last month's Sicilian Open.

"That doesn't seem right to me - the punishment should fit the crime," Ernie Els said at The Masters when asked about the first player to be handed a European Tour ban since Swede Johan Tumba received a 10-year suspension in 1992 for altering his scorecard at the qualifying school.

"Maybe there's been some leniency shown because it was a first offence, but if you play professional golf you should know how to mark a ball on the green.

"If he doesn't know or he doesn't understand then he needs to be taught it. I think he will be in for a hard time from other players."

Not from former Ryder Cup player Thomas Levet, though. He was in Augusta working for French television and said: "To ban somebody means he has that on his back for the rest of his career.

"I think that is the penalty and that is enough. It does not matter if it is one, two, three tournaments of whatever - the stigma will always be there.

"But if I am drawn with him I will react the same as I would with anybody else. He's been punished enough."

Saltman's comeback event may not come for a while yet, though.

He is a lowly reserve for both next week's Volvo China Open and then the Ballantine's Championship in Korea, so the Spanish Open in Barcelona on May 5th - 8th looks the likely return date.

His case came before the tournament committee chaired by Dane Thomas Bjorn and comprising 14 other players including his fellow Scots Colin Montgomerie and Paul Lawrie along with Paul Casey, Darren Clarke and Miguel Angel Jimenez.

Tour chief executive George O'Grady said he did not get involved in their discussions because if Saltman had decided to appeal on being found guilty he would have chaired that. It left the committee, however, acting both as jury in coming to a verdict and then judge as well in deciding a sentence.

That may be about to change, with the Tour following the lead of some other sports in having such matters handled by a disciplinary panel.

"We are reviewing the whole process," said Casey after finishing 38th on Sunday.

"As I'm on the committee and was at the meeting I think it would be incorrect for me to comment, but we were aware of the fact that the ban would come at a time when the qualifying school graduates do not get many starts.

"We did not take the decision lightly. We thought about it long and hard and it was very difficult."

O'Grady stated: "It was a unanimous decision by the committee, but they realise just how serious and difficult decisions like that are. With authority comes responsibility."

As for the one-tournament suspension he added: "It's an accident of circumstances at this time of year."

Levet said he has more of an issue with the fact that the meeting in Abu Dhabi came four months after Saltman's playing partners in Russia agreed that he did not replace his ball correctly on a number of occasions.

"There are some guys that were behind him (on the rankings) and are still behind him and for me it's a problem that we have that delay," he commented.

Saltman, whose younger brother Lloyd also came through the school in November and is the better known of the two since finishing 15th at the 2005 Open as an amateur, chose not to make an appeal.

But he took a lie detector test and said in a statement: "I wish to emphasise again that I do not cheat, have never cheated and do not believe I have done anything wrong.

"I want to get back to playing as quickly as I can because playing is the best way to show people that I am not a cheat.

"It has been a terrible few months. I have worked all my life to be a professional golfer and I love the game. To get my Tour card and then have this happen is unimaginable.

"To have people who don't know me and who know nothing about me go out in the media and question my honesty is really hurtful.

"To be accused of being a cheat is a terrible stigma and sadly is one that I will now almost certainly have to carry for the rest of my life.

"But I am a golfer and I just want to get back out there and play.

"I know there is a lot of sympathy for me amongst the players as well, although I am sure that a few will give me a frosty reception.

"That will be difficult, but I will just have to live with it."