Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rejuvenated Jaidee Ready for Maybank


Thongchai Jaidee [Courtesy Asian Tour]

A rejuvenated Thongchai Jaidee of Thailand is ready to kick start his season in the Maybank Malaysian Open on Thursday after recovering from a back injury.

The three-time Asian Tour Order of Merit champion said he was 80 per cent recovered from his injury and is ready to bid for a third Maybank Malaysian Open title in the US$2.5 million showpiece at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club.

Newly crowned Masters champion Charl Schwartzel of South Africa, world number one and PGA Championship winner Martin Kaymer of Germany, reigning British Open winner Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa and world number nine Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland will make a memorable 50th anniversary of Malaysia’s national championship by headlining the event.

Thongchai will be joined by decorated Indian star Jeev Milkha Singh, a two-time Order of Merit champion, Italian teen sensation Matteo Manassero and Welshman Rhys Davies, who finished tied third last year.

Thongchai, who won the Malaysian Open in 2004 and 2005, was in hospital for nine days after sustaining a back injury at the Avantha Masters in India in February. “I didn’t play a round of golf for almost a month but after recuperating I practised a lot and went to the gym. My back is more or less 80 per cent recovered but I’m confident it will fully recover soon,” said Thongchai.

He is upbeat of his chances despite having to face three reigning Major winners this week, including the elite from the Asian Tour. “You never know what will happen in golf. There are strong players on the Asian Tour. The weather and course conditions also suit us better. I’m going to try my best to win and if I don’t, I hope another Asian player will take the title home,” said Thongchai, who will tee off with Kaymer and McIlroy in the first two rounds.

Singh, who spend a lot of time competing in Malaysia during his early years as a professional, is delighted to make his first appearance in the Maybank Malaysian Open since 2008.

“Whenever I come back, I get all the positive vibes and a great welcome. I feel great coming back here especially with my family and son, who is one-year and three months old,” said the six-time Asian Tour winner.

Singh’s season was blighted by injury last year but he is ready to get back to winning ways and break back into the world’s top-50. “I hope to stay fit and get back into the top-50. I’m going in the right direction but for another two months, I just want to play regular golf. I want to get more confidence and increase my work load from hitting 100 golf balls a day to 200. I’m sure my game will improve by then,” added the Asian Tour honorary member.

Welshman Davies plied his trade with great success on the Asian Tour in 2008 and said the experience has prepared him for the week. He was in contention at the Maybank Malaysian Open last year before finishing equal third.

“I really enjoyed myself last year and nearly came close to winning it. Hopefully I can go one step better this week,” said Davies, who has one European Tour title under his belt.

He believes the elite cast gathered here will further boost the stature of the Maybank Malaysian Open, which is celebrating its golden anniversary. “They bring a lot of world ranking points to the event so it boosts the profile even further. It’s obviously a tournament I’d love to win so I’ll work my hardest to try to do so,” he added.

Italian Manassero, 17, will be making his debut in the Maybank Malaysian Open and is eyeing Noh Seung-yul’s title. “It is nice to see the younger players getting better. Many young players did well in the Masters and it makes me proud of what we are doing at the moment. Seeing Noh win last year was great and hopefully I can do it this year,” said Manassero, who won his maiden European Tour title last season.

“I’ve not had great scores this year but feel like I’m playing well. So I’m ready. I’m ready to make some good scores and have a good tournament. Hopefully it will be this week,” he added.