Friday, October 29, 2010

Thai Star Leads in Malaysia


Thai star Pariya Junhasavasdikul shared the lead with American Ben Crane at the $6 million CIMB Asia Pacific Classic Malaysia after Friday's second round signing for a 6-under-par 65 to lead at 11-under-par with Crane, a three-time PGA TOUR winner who fired the day's best round, a 64. 

Overnight leader Ricky Barnes and Ryan Moore, from the United States, were a stroke back while World No. 8 Luke Donald of England and Australian Adam Scott climbed into contention with a 67 and 65 respectively to finish Friday three behind the leaders. 

Three-time major winner Ernie Els of South Africa warned his rivals he was capable of going low this weekend after ending the second round in ninth place following a second-round 68 in the inaugural event sanctioned by the Asian Tour and PGA TOUR. 

Pariya said he felt more nervous having his coach, Shane Wilding, watching his every shot than playing alongside many of the world's leading stars. 

Scott, who has won titles in China and Singapore previously, showed he was back to his best form after a month-long break in Australia. After making two bogeys in his first four holes, the Australian fired six birdies and an eagle from 25 feet on the 17th to move into contention. 

Donald, a member of the victorious European Ryder Cup team earlier this month, made six birdies against two bogeys despite not producing his best golf. 

Els, chasing a third TOUR title this season and fresh off his triumph at the Grand Slam of Golf in Bermuda last week, is counting on his putter to find the range in the weekend rounds to make a title charge. 

"I played well and hit a lot of greens. If I can get my putter a little hotter, I can have a chance," said the man nicknamed the "Big Easy." 

"I know where to go now. I know how the greens react. I'm looking forward to a better weekend. I think I can have a low round. I'm playing good enough."