Friday, October 29, 2010

Coakley in China Chase


Rebecca Coakley of Team Ireland finished in a share of fourth place on day one of the Suzhou Taihu Ladies Open in China after carding a round of 69 – at one point leading in the clubhouse – only to see Frances Bondad of Australia shoot five-under-par 67 to take the overnight lead on Friday. 

The 22-year-old from Greystanes in New South Wales leads by one shot from Thailand’s Nontaya Srisawang and Christel Boeljon of the Netherlands. 

Coakley is tied with Dewi-Claire Schreefel of the Netherlands and Vikki Laing of Scotland after rounds of three under par. 

The late starters played in the more favourable afternoon conditions when there was less wind - but Coakley was not complaining. 

“I think the key today was just having control of the golf ball. It was very windy but I just hit fairways and greens and a couple of greens that I did miss, I missed in the right places and it was relatively easy to make up and downs,” she said. 

“Obviously I’d love to win, but I just take each day as it comes. If I can play like I did today for the next two days, I think I’ll be in contention,” said Coakley, who was raised in Adelaide, Australia. 

Martina Gillen signed for a two over par round of 74. 

Tara Delaney finished 6 over par after a round of 78. 

Hazel Kavanagh signed for a round of 77 to remain 5 over par on day one. 

The second round begins at 6.30am on Saturday and there will be a cut to the leading 60 professional players and those tied at the completion of 36 holes.