Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Presidents Cup Update - Greg Norman

Hello again! 

It's time to check in with everyone as we draw closer and closer to The Presidents Cup 2011 at Royal Melbourne in November. It's hard to believe it's already the middle of April and two months have passed since my last blog. There is a lot I want to update you about, so I'll get right to it.

I watched with great interest the coverage from the Masters this past week, as I'm sure many of you did. What a finish! Probably the best theater I have ever witnessed watching any golf tournament on TV. I believe at one point during Sunday's CBS telecast, a commentator remarked that every continent was represented on the leaderboard, with the exception of Antarctica. If that doesn't speak to the global nature of today's game, nothing does -- truly incredible.

It was especially exciting for me as International Team Captain to watch the action unfold with so many potential team members battling for the lead. Six players who could be members of my team in November finished inside the top 10, highlighted by winner Charl Schwartzel. I know Charl was not a household name for many golf fans prior to the Masters, especially in the United States, but he's been a wonderful player for a number of years and I was happy to see him break through on such a big stage. To finish with four-consecutive birdies to win the Masters is incredible stuff, and his victory vaulted him to the top of the International Team standings. Coming through with that type of performance under pressure will serve him well when he represents South Africa in his first Presidents Cup this November. He is a great player, a stand up guy with great humility.

South Korea's K.J. Choi and Argentina's Angel Cabrera, both veteran members of the International Team, produced solid results as well. I look forward to watching their good play continue through the summer as their experience and leadership would be most welcome in the team room and on the golf course.

As I'm sure many of you probably guessed, I was extremely pleased with how my fellow Aussies performed at Augusta. Three Australians in the top five is impressive and, for a time there on Sunday, I actually took a photo with my iPhone of the three Australian flags next to their names on top of the leaderboard as was shown on TV before commercial break. Seeing that gave me goose bumps. It looked like any one of them could win the tournament.

I was able to catch up with Jason Day, Adam Scott and Geoff Ogilvy on the phone following Sunday's round. I won't share exactly what we talked about, but I told them I was extremely proud of the way they performed and that Australian golf is in very good hands. They are all currently in the top 10 of the International Team standings, and I know all three are keen to make the squad and compete at Royal Melbourne this November.

As determined as all of the Australians are to make the team, I know the people of Australia are just as excited to host the event. Ticket sales opened up to the general public just a few weeks ago, and I've heard they are off to a terrific start, which is no surprise as Australians love their golf. I know the crowds will be supportive of both teams, but it will be truly special to play a "home game" in front of so many Australian fans.

I think a mention should be made about the resolution of the potential conflict of dates that was looming between The Presidents Cup and the South African Open. After many weeks of negotiations between the South African Tour and the PGA TOUR, an agreement was reached. This was vital for The Presidents Cup and my team members, many who would have been conflicted if it was not resolved. So kudos to all parties involved for reaching the decision on changing the conflicting dates.

On a personal note, I continue my rehabilitation from surgery on my right shoulder, which I underwent in February. I look forward to competing again soon, hopefully by the end of July. A lot of work needs to be done between now and then, but I look forward to the challenge. I'll be back in touch soon.