Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dustin Johnson Makes First Trip to Korea

Dustin Johnson

American ace Dustin Johnson and 18-time European Tour winner Miguel Ángel Jiménez play the Ballantine’s Championship this week in Korea. 

Big-hitting Johnson – who has four victories on the PGA Tour, including two last year – will be making his first competitive appearance in Asia. 

“It will be my first time playing in Korea and I'm really looking forward to the experience – not just from a golf point of view but also as a chance to travel and experience a different culture,” he said. 

“I've heard great reports about Korean golf and I know the fans are extremely passionate and knowledgeable about the game, so I know it will be a memorable trip for me. 

“Ballantine's have been busy assembling a fantastic field for the tournament and with so many great players taking part, I'm excited to get out there and give it my best for the Korean galleries.” 

Johnson, 26, is regarded as one of the most thrilling talents in world golf and last year became the first player since Tiger Woods to go straight from college and win in each of his first three years on the PGA Tour. 

Currently ranked No.12 in the world, he is the second longest hitter on the PGA Tour, behind Bubba Watson, averaging more than 311 yards per drive. 

In addition to his PGA Tour victories, he had top-10 finishes in both the US Open and PGA Championship last year. Earlier this month, he finished runner-up at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in Miami. 

Spanish icon Jiménez, meanwhile, has a brilliant record in the Far East with European Tour victories in Hong Kong – twice – Thailand and China. It will be his first competitive appearance in Korea since finishing joint second in the 2004 Korea Golf Championship. 

“I thoroughly enjoyed my last visit to Korea and it really has been too long since I returned, so I’m greatly looking forward to taking part in the Ballantine’s Championship,” said the Ryder Cup star. 

“I’m planning to relax, enjoy the Korean culture and hospitality and play my natural game. Hopefully I can put on a great show for the fans there." 

The €2.2 million Ballantine’s Championship will be staged at the prestigious Blackstone Resort in Seoul. The first three editions of the tournament were played at Pinx Golf Club on the holiday island of Jeju. 

Korean hero YE Yang, Asia’s first Major winner, will be joined by Noh, still only 19 and regarded as one of the brightest prospects in world golf. 

Noh ranks as the third youngest European Tour winner in history thanks to his victory in the 2010 Malaysian Open and he followed up that landmark effort by finishing fourth in the Ballantine’s Championship. 

He crowned a fantastic 2010 season by becoming the youngest ever winner of the Asian Tour’s Order of Merit. 

“I had a fantastic time at the Ballantine's Championship last year, finishing in the top five,” said Noh. “Now, I’m more than happy to play once again on my home turf with so many great players from around the world. 

“I've yet to win as a professional in front of my home fans and the Ballantine's Championship would be the perfect time to do so. I’m really looking forward to it.” 

Meanwhile, taking his place alongside the big names will be 20-year-old Korean professional Lee Han Gu, winner of the 2011 Road to the Ballantine’s Championship reality TV contest. 

Lee beat 11 other players over three rounds at Blackstone Resort – with the competition televised on Korea’s J Golf Channel – to book his place in the main event. 

“I can't believe I won this competition,” said a delighted Lee. “It will be an honour for me to play with so many great players at the Ballantine's Championship. I really appreciate the role of Ballantine’s in giving rookie players the chance to make their dreams come true. 

“I still need to work very hard to prepare myself for the Ballantine’s Championship and I will be doing my best to make the most of this fantastic opportunity.” 

The 2011 Ballantine’s Championship will once again be co-sanctioned by the European Tour, Asian Tour and Korea PGA. 

Blackstone Resort, in Icheon, just south of Seoul, will host the event for at least the next three years. It is the first time that the exclusive venue – which opened only in 2009 and has just 300 members – has staged a professional tournament.