Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oosthuizen Battles Eye Infection

Louis Osthuizen

Open champion Louis Oosthuizen battled more than the toughest field in golf and a course not so affectionately known as the Blue Monster as he carded a five-under-par 67 on Saturday in the third round of the World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship.

He withdrew from last week’s Honda Classic after two rounds with an eye, ear and nose infection, and his right eye was swollen shut on Saturday morning.

Despite that, he was in a share of 16th, eight shots off the lead held by Dustin Johnson, who carded a seven-under-par 65 to lead Luke Donald, Matt Kucharand Nick Watney by two strokes.

“It was touch and go g=before the third round,” said Oosthuizen. “It looked pretty bad. It was swollen badly and I couldn’t really see through it. I just iced it and got some eye drops put in.

“An hour before my tee time it felt okay so I went out actually with the thought that I’m probably going to stop after a few holes. But I just wanted to give myself a chance. Through the round I actually went a bit better but as the wind picked up or every time I looked into the wind, even with the glasses it was a struggle.”

The struggle was not enough to stop him compiling a 31 on the front and six birdies in his first 10 holes. He actually got to seven-under with a seven-footer for birdie at the short par-four 16th but made bogeys on the last two holes.

“It was a little bit difficult around the greens and sometimes my vision was blurry, watery and stuff,” said Oosthuizen. “Other than that, the swing feels great, the body feels good. I just have to make good contact with the ball.”

Behind him, defending champion Ernie Els battled his way to a two-over 73 to be in a share of 21st going into the final round, nine shots off the lead.

One stroke behind him was Retief Goosen who came to light with a third round 68.

Rory Sabbatini carded a five-under 67 to go with his opening par of 74s, while last year’s runner-up Charl Schwartzel fought to a 75 to be in a share of 46th with Thomas Aiken, who signed for a 74.