Monday, April 25, 2011

Fraser Searching for Ballantine's Repeat

Marcus Fraser

Seven years is a long time to endure a win less streak and the ecstasy of landing the biggest win of his career last year when the unassuming Australian, Marcus Fraser clinched an emotional victory at the Ballantine’s Championship in 2010.

Since his lone triumph in 2003, Fraser has endured a roller-coaster ride with several near-misses while in search for his second professional victory. It was a constant battle not only on the golf course but also against his mental state of mind where at one stage, thoughts of quitting the game were even contemplated.

No doubt, he fell out of love with game but on Jeju, touted as Korea’s honeymoon island, the Australian regained his passion for the sport.

“I thought about giving it away because I was playing terrible. My golf swing wasn't improving and everything wasn't really getting any better. I thought I was wasting my time and started to question myself and asking whether I deserved to be out playing,” said Fraser.

However, he demonstrated that sheer determination and true grit would finally prevail when he carded a final round of three-under-par 69 for a three-day total of 12-under-par 204 to win the weather-shortened €2.2 million (approximately US$2.9 million) showpiece.

Fraser led wire-to-wire to win by four shots, fending off the challenges of closest rivals, Gareth Maybin of Northern Ireland and compatriot Brett Rumford who took a share of second place on 208 at the picturesque Pinx Golf Club.

“I had so many chances to win over the last seven years. So to go out there and play like how I did today and this week was simply unbelievable,” said Fraser, who subsequently took up membership with the Asian Tour.

“It has been a lot of hard work over the last couple of years to get back into this position which is definitely a life changing one,” added Fraser who took home the winner’s cheque of US$496,000.

Korea’s rising star Noh Seung-yul closed with a 68 to take equal fourth with England’s Oliver Fisher on 209 while Singapore’s Mardan Mamat enjoyed his best result of the season by signing for a 72 to take a share of sixth place alongside Wales’ Jamie Donaldson and Robert-Jan Derksen of the Netherlands on 210.

Noh touted as the next big star to come out of Asia, flew the flag for the home nation after compatriot Ted Oh, who started the day tied for fifth, fell out of contention with an 81.

“It was a tough week especially with the fog delay during the opening round. The weather conditions were tough but I’m happy I played well under all these circumstances and I know that my game can only get better when I play with these strong players and under all these testing conditions,” said Noh.

Defending champion Thongchai Jaidee of Thailand signed off with a 75 to finish tied-ninth on 211.