Monday, November 15, 2010

Errity and Heggarty Schooling Well


American Tim Thelen carded an opening round of 67 at the European Senior Tour Qualifying School for a share of the lead with Peter Dahlberg and Gordon Manson in Portugal. 

Thelen continued where he left off at First Stage - where he led the 30 Qualifiers from Gramacho by four strokes - carding three birdies and an eagle three on the second hole, his 11th after starting on the tenth tee at Pestana Golf Resort’s Vale de Pinta. 

The 50 year old PGA club professional from Texas, a former college friend of Colin Montgomerie, dropped one shot on his penultimate hole but was satisfied with his start as he attempts to win a Tour card for the first time. 

“It was a solid round and I’m happy with the start I’ve made,” said Thelen. “I had it five under at one point but I bogeyed the second last hole which was a little disappointing. 

“I only missed two greens all day which were my last two holes but it was a good start overall. I was striking the ball well from first stage and continued that today. I’ve also been putting well. 

“On this course you have to be patient and I was today.” 

While Thelen is experiencing Senior Tour Qualifying School for the first time, co-leader Dahlberg is making his fourth visit having secured an alternate card 12 months ago by finishing in 18th position. 

He made eight starts on the Senior Tour in 2010, finishing 70th on the Order of Merit with two top 20 finishes – in Mauritius and the Czech Republic. 

A hat-trick of birdies starting on the sixth hole, followed by three more on the tenth, 12th and 14th holes helped him to the top of the leader board, before he dropped only his second shot of the day when he three-putted the last hole. 

“It was a good start considering my driving was poor today,” said the 56 year old Swede. “I’m normally very straight but everything seemed to go right today. 

“I normally aim right on the 18th here but I dared not today in case it went out of bounds! Thankfully I hit my irons really close though and holed some nice putts. 

He added: “I played pretty well last year with limited starts so hopefully I can gain one of the full cards here and I think I could do quite well.” 

Like Thelen, Manson also eagled the second hole en route to his four under par round, also carding five birdies along the way. 

The 50 year old, who was born in Scotland but has lived in Austria since 1984, is also looking to secure playing rights on the Senior Tour for the first time. 

The leading trio are a shot clear of Australian Graham Banister and South African Steve Van Vuren, who both posted rounds of 68. 

Tied for sixth place on two under par are Englishman Matt Briggs, along with Scottish pair Albert Mackenzie and Peter Smith. 

Irish Amateur Pat Errity is in 6th after a round that included seven birdies and five bogeys. 

Jimmy Heggarty signed for a one over par 72 with double bogeys on the 10th and 17th. 

Eoin Feely finished five over par in 65th place with double bogeys on the 2nd and 17th holes.