Thursday, April 7, 2011

Turner Level in Round 2 at Panasonic Open

Mardan Mamat

Niall Turner played the third round at the Panasonic Open (India) in level par despite carding five birdies on Thursday as the Muskerry man dropped the same number of shots either side of the turn to end the day signing for a 72, sharing 19th place.

Birdies on the opening hole, the 7th and then the 8th took him to one under par at the turn following bogeys on the fourth and ninth. On the back nine it was a similar story after bogeys on 12, 13 and 17 were recovered after birdies on the 10th and 15th to end the day one under overall.

Mardan Mamat of Singapore continued his fine run at the inaugural Panasonic Open (India) after posting a second round seven-under-par 65 for the clubhouse lead on Thursday.


The 43-year-old Singaporean, who is seeking to end a five-year title drought on the Asian Tour, signed for a two-day total of 12-under-par 132 to open up a four-shot lead over Ben Fox of the United States at the Delhi Golf Club.

India’s Himmat Rai bettered his opening 70 with a 67 to take third place with compatriot Manav Jaini one back in fourth on 139 at the newest US$300,000 event on the Asian Tour which is co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI).

Starting the day in tied-second, Mardan overcame his two-shot deficit with a flawless opening front-nine. The Singaporean fired four birdies and an eagle-three on the par-five eighth to move atop the leaderboard at 11-under at the turn.

Mardan’s only blemish of the round would come at par-four 10th where he rued a bad iron shot. However, that blunder was quickly put out of mind as he posted two more birdies on the 14th and 15th holes.

“I had a really good start and that kept up my confidence. Overall I’m very pleased with the way I’ve putted over the last two days,” said Mardan.

“As long as you don’t make too many silly mistakes on this golf course, it will be okay. I’m just going to relax and sharpen my putting. I hope to maintain my momentum for the next two days,” added the two-time Asian Tour winner.

Meanwhile, Fox also produced another commanding performance by mixing eight birdies against two bogeys to keep up his charge for a career breakthrough on the Asian Tour.

“I played really solid golf. It could have been a lot better yesterday but the putts just didn’t fall. But today, it was the exact opposite. I hit it well and managed to make those putts. That’s the difference,” said Fox.

Fox narrowly kept his Tour card by finishing on the bubble in 61st place on the Asian Tour Order of Merit last season and is determined not to be caught out in such a compromising position on the rankings again.

“I took a lot of positives from last year and I was lucky to keep my card. I’m definitely looking forward to taking advantage of it this year,” said Fox.

Fox plans to take the pressure off himself by taking in the sights in New Delhi with his girlfriend but knows he has to remain focus to fulfil his goal of winning his first Asian Tour title.

“My girlfriend’s in town so I’m going to hang out with her and I’m just going to take it easy and get ready for tomorrow,” said Fox.

“This is the kind of golf course where you have to be patient and stick to your game plan. That’s all I intend to do and keep doing what I’ve always done here and we’ll see what comes of it,” added the young American.


Panasonic, the worldwide leader of electronic product manufacturers, has committed to the title sponsorship in India as an extension of the brand’s involvement with professional golf in Asia as it also hosts the Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open in Japan, a tournament jointly sanctioned by the Asian Tour and Japan Golf Tour.