Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Turner's Half Dozen Birdies at Panasonic

Anirban Lahiri 

Niall Turner started on the 10th and was four over par by the time he left the 16th green, at the Panasonic Open (India), recovering one shot before making the turn, and then cruising home with five birdies to sign for a one under par total of 71 for a share of 21st place - albeit six shots off the lead

It was India’s Anirban Lahiri who got his title campaign off to a good start by posting a seven-under-par 65 to take the opening round lead  on Wednesday.

Singapore’s Mardan Mamat who won his first Asian Tour title at the Delhi Golf Club, venue of this week’s newest US$300,000 event which is co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI), is two shots back alongside Thailand’s Namchok Tantipokhakul on matching 67s.

Former Bangladesh national team captain Md. Shakhawat Sohel showed the emerging talent pool from his country by returning with a 69 to take a share of fourth place alongside Thailand’s Thitiphun Chuayprakong, Somkiat Srisanga, India’s Manriam Sharma, Vikrant Chopra and Australia’s Tim Stewart.

Lahiri who is riding high on confidence after winning a domestic event on the PGTI last week, enjoyed a flawless round that was highlighted by seven birdies at the Delhi Golf Club.

“I’m very happy with how I’ve played today. I hit it great off the tee and most of my birdies were all close range especially on the 13th and 17th. I also closed the round with a brilliant 20-footer for birdie on the 18th,” said Lahiri.

The 23-year-old Indian has shown his appetite for winning on the domestic circuit by amassing a total of seven titles.

However it is still that maiden Asian Tour title that has eluded him and Lahiri now hopes to find his breakthrough this week.

“I’ve been playing well on the domestic circuit and I’ve won quite a few events in the last year or so. My confidence is coming more from the SAIL Open (sixth place finish) and playing well on this golf course about two weeks ago,” said Lahiri

“I’m just happy with the way I’m playing and we’ll see the results as and when they come,” added Lahiri.

Meanwhile Mardan, who is back in the sub-continent for the second time in three weeks to launch another title bid, is hoping to rediscover his winning form at the same venue where he earned his career breakthrough in 2004.

“The Delhi Golf Club brings good memories as this is where I won my first title on the Asian Tour and if things go in the right direction the next three day, I think I can relive those memories again,” said the 43-year-old Singaporean.

Mardan’s last victory was recorded on home soil in 2006 at the Singapore Masters and he is determined to end a five-year title drought after enjoying his career-best finish of eighth place on the Asian Tour Order of Merit last season.

The Singaporean was quick to give credit to his new sponsor, Yonex for providing him with a good start on the opening day of the inaugural event.

“I’ve a new Yonex driving iron that is suitable for this course. I’ve managed to keep my ball on the fairways with that and it has really helped me a lot today,” said Mardan.

Namchok who is seeking his maiden win on the Asian Tour, enjoyed a bogey-free round by marking his card with five birdies.

The Thai is however not planning to give himself any pressure as there are still three more rounds to play.

“It’s only the first round and anything can happen the next few days. What I can do is to play my own game and the rest will take care of itself if I’m playing well,” said the 23-year-old Thai.

Shakhawat is hoping to follow in the footsteps of compatriot Siddikur by becoming the second Bangladeshi to win an Asian Tour title.

Shakhawat, who teed off in the back-nine, started off convincingly with four opening birdies until a bogey on the 15th followed by a double-bogey on the 17th set him back momentarily.

“My score could have been much better as I was four-under after four holes. But I made a mistake at hole 15. I teed off really well and that hole could have been a birdie if not for my bad second shot. Unfortunately I made a bogey over there and double-bogeyed 16th,” said Shakhawat.

The Bangladeshi, who used to work as a caddy before joining the national team, managed to regain his composure by making birdies on the 17th and 18th holes to reach the turn in 33.

He then mixed two bogeys against two birdies in his inward nine to eventually sign for a 69.

“I hope to show everyone that the standard of golf in Bangladesh is growing and with more events like this on the Asian Tour, we can only get better,” said Shakhawat.

Panasonic, the worldwide leader of electronic product manufacturers, has committed to the title sponsorship in India as an extension of the brand’s involvement with professional golf in Asia as it also hosts the Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open in Japan, a tournament jointly sanctioned by the Asian Tour and Japan Golf Tour.