Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Shaaban Hussin Uses Local Knowledge

Shaaban Hussin

Malaysia’s Shaaban Hussin hopes the arrival of his new born son will lead him to a double celebration at the US$2.5 million Maybank Malaysian Open starting on Thursday.

Shaaban, who became a father for the first time 10 days ago, will be among a strong 24-man Malaysian cast who will chase for glory at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club.

Other local aspirants include fellow Maybank ambassador Danny Chia, Ben Leong and Airil Rizman, all winners on the Asian Tour.

Seasoned campaigner Iain Steel and Asian Development Tour graduates S. Siva Chandhran and Akhmal Tarmizee will also be in the fray in the US$2.5 million showpiece which is co-sanctioned with the European Tour.

After welcoming his first born, Danish Irfan, two weeks ago, Shaaban is eager to sparkle in front of his home fans. “I’m feeling quite relaxed because I’m treating this week like any other week. There’s pressure for us to perform but I’m hoping to do well for my first child,” smiled Shaaban.

With a world-class field headlining the Maybank Malaysian Open which includes new Masters champion Charl Schwartzel of South Africa, world number one Martin Kaymer of Germany and current British Open winner Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa, Shaaban knows he would need a herculean effort to win the 50th edition of his National Open.

The Malaysian said the experience of competing at the highest level on the Asian Tour has made him a better player. “There are many top class players in the field this week and it will be good if I can finish in the top-30. I played in many events last year and learned that I need to be physically and mentally prepared,” he said.

He is also wary of the challenging Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club. “The course is playing long and the greens are very tricky. The back nine will be very challenging and it will provide a stern challenge to the players.”

After making history by becoming the first Malaysian to play in all four rounds of the British Open last year, Chia is setting his sights on fulfilling his life-long goal of becoming the first local golfer to win the Maybank Malaysian Open.

“Every week when I play, I try to win, especially when I play in the Maybank Malaysian Open. I try to be the best that I can be and I’ve been keeping my condition in tip top shape,” said the 38-year-old.

Chia came close to being the first local to win the tournament in 2008 where he was tied for the lead after the second round before a disastrous 80 in the third round. He was again in the limelight in 2009 when he took the lead at the halfway stage before ending the tournament in tied 11th place.

Despite a slow start to the season due to a wrist injury where he missed two cuts in three tournaments, Chia is hopeful of gathering momentum and making a title charge this week

“It has to do with how I control my emotions. I can remember those two years (2008 and 2009) when my expectations changed after two rounds and I put myself under pressure. Those are parts of the learning process to be a better golfer which I’ve learned over the years,” added Chia.