Friday, April 15, 2011

Poulter and Westwood Fancy Ballantine's

Ian Poulter


Asia enthusiasts Ian Poulter and Lee Westwood are each targeting victory in the Ballantine’s Championship in Korea as they seek to maintain their outstanding records in the Far East.


Between them, the English stars have won a total of nine times in the region with numerous other top 10 finishes.

It means both are relishing the chance to lift another trophy when the €2.2 million Ballantine’s Championship is staged from 28 April to 1 May at the prestigious Blackstone Golf Club near Seoul.

“I love it,” said Poulter, when asked about playing in Asia. “Any chance I get to play Asian tournaments I take them. I’ve had a bit of success there and I enjoy playing golf there.”

The world No.16 won last year’s Hong Kong Open and the 2009 Singapore Open – both part of the European Tour schedule – to go with his success in the Japan Golf Tour’s 2007 Phoenix Open.

Poulter, who has 10 European Tour victories to his name, will be appearing in the Ballantine’s Championship for the first time although he previously finished runner-up in the 2008 Korean Open.

“It’s going to be another fun week, I’m very much looking forward to it and hopefully I can go one better than the last time I was in Korea,” he said.

“I was a little disappointed then, I bogeyed the last and as a result came up one shot shy, so I would like to go one better this time. That’s what I’m going to be working towards.”

Westwood has six career victories in Asia and has been especially successful in Japan, winning the Taiheiyo Masters three years running from 1996-98.

He featured in the 2009 Ballantine’s Championship when the tournament was played at Pinx Golf Club on the Korean holiday island of Jeju and is keen try out Blackstone Golf Club.

“It will be fun,” said the world No.2. “I’ve never been to Seoul before and it’s always nice to experience new places and cultures – and the courses in Asia are normally good, so I’m really looking forward to it.

“I’ve played well in Asia in the past and had quite a lot of wins there – four in Japan, plus Macau and Malaysia. I’ve always enjoyed playing in Asia.”

Poulter and Westwood are part of a world-class field at the 2011 Ballantine’s Championship that also includes three-time Major winner Ernie Els, PGA Tour star Dustin Johnson and 18-time European Tour winner Miguel Ángel Jiménez.

Big-hitting Johnson – who has four victories on the PGA Tour, including two last year – will be making his first competitive appearance in Asia.

A powerful Korean contingent will be led by Asia’s first Major winner, YE Yang, reigning Asian Tour Order of Merit champion Noh Seung Yul, and Kim Kyung Tae, a three-time winner in Japan last year.
Westwood said the Ballantine’s Championship suited his schedule as he goes in search of his first Major victory.

“It falls in the middle of two Majors, coming between the Masters and the US Open, and it’s important for me to play some strong events in that stretch so the Ballantine’s Championships fits in perfectly,” explained Westwood, who finished joint 11th in last week’s Masters.

“The Majors are what it is all about for me this year and it is vital that I get my game into good shape for those.”

The 2011 Ballantine’s Championship will once again be co-sanctioned by the European Tour, Asian Tour and Korea PGA.

Blackstone Golf Club, in Icheon, just south of Seoul, will host the event for at least the next three years. It is the first time that the exclusive venue – which opened only in 2009 and has just 300 members – has staged a professional tournament.