Friday, April 15, 2011

McIlroy Shoots Lights Out in Malaysia Day 2

Rory McIlroy at Maybank [Courtesy Asian Tour]

Rory McIlroy lit up the Maybank Malaysian Open with a sensational eight-under-par 64 in the second round to hold the joint clubhouse lead with Alexander Noren on Friday.


The Northern Irishman, who arrived in Malaysia on the back of a heartbreaking loss at the Masters Tournament where he led for 63 holes, produced the fireworks with eight birdies in an unblemished round at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club.

Sweden’s Noren, the overnight leader, battled to a 69 in the US$2.5 million showpiece which is celebrating its 50th anniversary and sanctioned by the Asian Tour and European Tour.

England’s Simon Dyson, the Asian Tour number one in 2000, matched McIlroy’s stunning round with a 64 to move up to third, one shot back.

The 21-year McIlroy, who has a two-day total of 11-under-par 133, took full advantage of ideal scoring conditions with an outward 31 before adding three more birdies coming home.

“Today I went out and played well. I have done for a couple of days but the difference was I holed a couple of putts. It feels good. I’ve got my swing in a nice groove. I’ve been driving the ball pretty good which you need to around here. It’s been really good. I’ve not missed many shots. 11 under after two days here is a great effort considering I’ve travelled so far and not seeing the course,” said McIlroy, who is chasing a third professional victory.

He put himself in prime contention to win the Maybank Malaysian Open a week after suffering a Masters disappointment where he tumbled out of the lead with a closing 80.

Since arriving in Kuala Lumpur, McIlroy has been looking on the bright side of things and knows that a win on Sunday would be the perfect comeback.

“It would show more to everyone else other than myself that last week didn’t set me back. I’ve started this week off great but I need to keep going and making birdies and shooting low scores if I want to win,” he said.

Noren, winner of the 2009 Omega European Masters which is also sanctioned by the Asian Tour and European Tour, suffered in the heat and humidity, dropping a bogey on his 16thhole after four earlier birdies on the card..

“I had a great 14 holes but the heat got to me because it was so hot and I was just counting how many holes I had left,” admitted Noren. “I started very nicely and hit two greens on the par fives in two and made easy birdies. It was fun.

“The more times you lead, the easier it is to get the win. But I think by competing a lot, you get used to everything that happens in competitions. You know what you need to do to prepare for competitions and get better from there.”

Dyson has a great affinity to Asia as he won the Order of Merit crown in his rookie professional season thanks largely to three victories in the region in 2000. Like McIlroy, he was bogey-free and fired eight birdies.

“I don’t play too bad out here. I don’t know what it is. It might be the success I had in 2000. I come out here and always seem to fancy my chances,” said the Englishman.

It was a great turnaround as Dyson felt ill on Thursday en route to an opening 70.

“I wasn’t feeling my best yesterday and went back to my room and straight to bed. I woke up this morning and felt better again and managed to get it going with eight birdies and no bogeys. I’m really pleased with that.”