Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ian Poulter in Korea to Win Ballantine's

Ian Poulter

Ian Poulter brought his refreshingly honest approach to Korea by declaring that he has made the journey from the east coast of America to the Far East for one reason only: to win the Ballantine’s Championship.

The Englishman is looking to go one better than his last visit to Korea when he finished second at the 2008 Korea Open, and he is in his usual confident form going into the €2.2 million event at the Blackstone Golf Club.

“I’m here to win the golf tournament, simple as that,” said the matter-of-fact Englishman, currently ranked 17th on the Official World Golf Ranking. “I am not saying that I will definitely win but you have to believe that you are going to win every week.

“You are not going to win every week –in the same way that you are not going to birdie every hole that you play but I can honestly say that I will be trying to birdie every hole this week. I know I won’t do it but I will try and that is what I have to do.”

Poulter is relishing the chance to go head to head with his friend and World Number One Lee Westwood this week as well as a number of the game’s very best.

“Lee Westwood is back to World Number One and he is the man to beat this week. Yes, any player in this field could win the tournament if they play to their very best but you have to look at Lee and say he is the man to beat because he is the best in the business right now.

“I’m confident coming into the week, my game is in decent shape and I now that if I prepare well and get ready for the tournament properly then I will have a good chance."