Friday, April 8, 2011

Harrington Struggles with Neck Trouble

Harrington in Augusta Thursday

Padraig Harrington admitted he came close to pulling out of The Masters ahead of his disastrous opening round.

The three-time Major winner has been suffering with a neck injury and he was clearly hampered as he struggled at Augusta.

Harrington eventually carded a five-over 77 for his worst-ever round in the opening Major of the season.

And the Irishman said: "It's tough when you can't hit the shots.

"It's very disappointing. I prepared very well, I was in good form, but it was not to be - such is life.

"I nearly pulled out before I started, but I wouldn't - that's just my nature.

"And, knowing me, I would never fail to finish. I take some pride in that."

Harrington claimed the problem flared up as he was preparing to warm-up, meaning his build up largely focused on getting treatment.

"I was swinging the left-handed shot, just warming up and it just kind of clicked," he said. "I'm not able to move to my right.

"It's always going to happen sometimes. I would love to tell you that there's more I could do - aside from cutting my head off!

"I didn't get a warm-up really at all. I spent about two minutes on the putting green because I had to get treatment.

"I didn't take any pain killers. I was hoping it would go away, but it actually got worse on the course - maybe I should have. It didn't cross my mind."