Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fatigue Slows Down Masters Champion

Charl Scwhartzel [Courtesy Asian Tour]

Charl Schwartzel closed with a one-over-par 73 in the opening round of the Maybank Malaysian Open but vowed to charge back up the leaderboard.

The South African, who clinched his first Major on Sunday at Augusta National, battled back from a sluggish outward 39 with two birdies coming home to lie seven shots behind early pacesetter Matteo Manassero of Italy.

His countryman and current British Open champion, Louis Oosthuizen, enjoyed a better day with a solid 69.

“It wasn’t easy. I never got my swing. I felt uncomfortable and the swing wasn’t nearly as it good as it was,” lamented the slender Schwartzel.

“Lots of travel and I’m just not quite prepared properly for this tournament. Saw the course now, at least I have 18 holes done. I’m going to hit a few balls and come out tomorrow to shoot a little bit better. Not feeling good right now,”

He took over 20 hours of flying time from Augusta to Kuala Lumpur and the jetlag hit last night. It took a toll on his game as he struggled early on before fighting back with birdies on the second and third holes.

“I didn’t sleep very well, didn’t sleep much. It’s difficult, 12 hour of time change. I just feel like, I don’t know what. I’m struggling to focus. The golf swing is tight and the body is not responding right now,” he said.

“It would have been nice to have arrived a day earlier and to prepare better. I didn’t put myself completely out of it today. I’m going to hit some balls and shoot a good score and challenge for the title. Still 54 holes left.”

Rather than resting, he hit the driving range after a short rest in search of his winning golf swing which earned him the famous green jacket last week. “I’ve got to go and hit a couple of balls, find something. I was swinging so good last week and the weeks before that. The body isn’t responding right now but it will come,” he said.

“Only good thing is that I didn’t put myself way out of it. I came back on the back nine, made two under which is moving in the right direction. A couple more of those under par and maybe by the 72nd hole, I’ll be close.”