Friday, April 8, 2011

Donald Enjoys Day with 1992 Champion

Luke Donald and Fred Couples

England's Luke Donald equalled the lowest round of his Masters career to get back in the hunt for a maiden major title.

After recovering from three over par after 10 holes to open with a level par 72, the world No.4 added a 68 to get to four under at the halfway mark at Augusta.

"I'm in a good position," said Donald, winner of the World Match Play title last February

"I think I've played enough here to know you can get on some runs and fortunately that happened. I didn't make a great start, but I certainly didn't panic."

Donald was out in 35 and had four birdies in a homeward 33.

Donald was paired with Fred Couples, now playing the Champions Tour at with 51-years of age,  who added a second round 68 to his opening 71 at Augusta, for a five-under halfway aggregate.

"He's very impressive," said the Englishman. "He's still got it - he's straight and long and he doesn't make too many mistakes."

Couples - champion here back in 1992 - led last year after starting with a 66 and went on to finish sixth.

"Could I win? Of course. Am I looking forward to playing tomorrow? You bet I am. Today was a great round to make it a thrill-seeking Saturday for me. It would be the biggest upset in golf history." 

A victory this week would make Couples the oldest major winner. Julis Boros was 48 when he won 1968 USPGA Championship, while the Masters age mark of 46 was set by Jack Nicklaus in his epic triumph 25 years ago.