Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Milkha Singh Rows with Airport Officials

Jeev Milkha Singh 

Jeev Milkha Singh was involved in a row with Italian airport officials after his coach was asked to remove his turban before boarding a flight to this week's European Tour event in Sicily.

The pair were set to fly from Milan airport to Sicily when the three-time European Tour winner's coach, Amritinder Singh, said he was forced to take off his turban for security reasons.

"My father wears a turban and I would be horrified if he was told to remove it unnecessarily and unrespectfully in front of hundreds of people," said Jeev Milkha, who reportedly told his coach to stand his ground and refuse to comply with the demand.
Personal insult

Amritinder later released a statement which said: "It is a personal insult as I have travelled all over the world and even though security officials put their detectors around my turban, I have never had to remove it.

"For me it is like being asked to strip in public. I also told them that they could look at my passport and see that I am a sportsperson and have never been humiliated like this but they refused to comply.

"I even told them that this is not security but harassment. I belong to a country whose prime minister wears a turban, and I feel that my nation should take up such issues with other countries."

Singh is India's most famous golfer having collected three European Tour wins, including the 2006 Volvo Masters, and six Asian Tour titles.

His father, Jeev Milkha, said this was the second such incident to have happened in Italy.

Jeev Milkha represented India in the 1960 Olympics in Rome and led the final of the 400m before finishing just outside the medals in fourth place.