Friday, March 18, 2011

Godoy Shares Lead in Barranquilla


Argentina’s Maxi Godoy and Alan Wagner join the USA’s Cody Slover in a three-way tie for the lead after the opening day of the Pacific Colombia Tour presented by Helm Barranquilla Open. They posted rounds of 4-under par 68 for an impressive start in the event co-sanctioned by the Tour de las Americas and the Canadian Tour.

Slover set the pace early in the day by carding seven birdies and three bogeys, while the Argentine duo matched his score late in the afternoon. Godoy reached the top with three birdies, an eagled and only one bogey and Wagner with six birdies and two bogeys. The co-leading trio is only one stroke ahead of Argentina’s Sebastián Fernández and Colombia’s Rafael Romero. 

Despite the difficult conditions provided by the Country Club de Barranquilla’s 6,825-yard par-72, where the severe winds coming from the Caribbean Sea were a factor all day, a total of sixteen players were able to break par. Another eight finished at even-par 72.

“I struck the ball pretty straight and the wind wasn’t really a factor for me. I believe I could have done better if I hadn’t missed a few putts. Anyway, I’m very satisfied with this outcome on a difficult day as this one,” said Godoy, a 22-year old from Buenos Aires starting his international career on the Tour de las Americas after four years as a pro.

Following a slow start of two bogeys and one birdie on the first five holes, Wagner found his rhythm by making five birdies on the remaining thirteen. He chipped-in for birdie from thirty yards at the par-three No 8 and closed with birdies on the last two holes.

“I stayed patient and things turned my way. I struck the ball very well and made some good putts. I feel really fortunate about shooting 68 on a day like this,” said the 21-year old, winner of the TLA – European Challenge Tour co-sanctioned Club Colombia Masters two years ago.

Slover enjoyed a strong birdie-birdie finish as well to secure his 68. “I just didn’t get in trouble and kept it in play all day. I hit a lot of fairways and greens. I also made a few putts and that was what kept my round going,” commented the 26-year old from California.

A Canadian Tour member during his four seasons as a pro, Slover made things look easy early in the day. “I wasn’t that easy. I hit some good shots, so I made it seem a little easier, less stressful.”

In the duo sharing the fourth spot, the experienced Sebastián Fernández of Argentina is definitely a favorite this week. His 69, matched late in the day by local veteran Rafael Romero, featured four birdies and only one bogey.

“Because of the severe wind, the key here is to remain patient. You must be patient, playing one shot at a time and trying to do your best”, said the four-time TLA champion, twice a winner last season for a third place finish on the TLA Order of Merit.

The US $100,000 tournament organized by Sport Link continues Friday, with the top sixty and ties advancing to the final two rounds.