Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sakura Wins Yumeya Championship

Sakura Yokomine

Young YOKOMINE, SAKURA survied a strong challenge from older sister YOKOMINE, RUI to win theYumeya Dream Cup at the Hirao Country Club. 

However, the 25-year-old professional, who had a crowd of over 3,000 following her, did not fare well as she returned with a score of 2-over 74 as opposed to Rui's three-under 69. But her three-round total of 208 was just enough to win her the coveted Cup by one stroke. 

Sakura, also nicknamed 'Money Girl' and Rui pocketed USD18,000 and USD12,000 respectively. 

To top an eventful event for the Japanese professionals, YONEYAMA, MIDORI, who scored an ace in the second round yesterday, finished third with the three-day total of 211. Midori rounded up the day with a score of one-under 71 besides winning some money, Midori also received some extra cash from the sponsors for her hole-in-one effort. 

"I did not open the present, so I can't tell you how much," she said. 

Both Sakura and Rui had a soft spot for the victims if the New Zealand earthquake and pledged to donate part of their earnings to the New Zealand Earthquake Fund. 

"We'll decide later after both of come to a confirmed figure," said the sisters after their final round. 

"Winning is always a happy feeling, but this time around I feel a little bit sad for the victims of the New Zealand earthquake. This porbably explains whi my sister and I want to make a little donation," said Sakura. 

On her play today, Sakura said she was obviously disappointed with her performance. "Honestly I did not play well. It was a near miss and maybe I should call it a lucky win," she said, crediting Rui for a splendid fightback and good play. 

Rui who took over the lead after making the turn said she never realised that she was in the lead. 

"I gave all my attention to the game and did not notice how all the happenings around the course as I did not want to spoil my play. I played very well getting five birdies and losing two of them. But dropping one at the 16th allowed Sakura to regain the lead. There's always the next time for me to get even with her," Rui said. 

The final round turned out to a disasterous day for Thailand KONGKAPAN, PATCHARACHUTA, who was lying second after the second round play. Today, the stout lass from Bangkok shot an eight-over 80 to finish tied 17th. 

Looking teary eyed, Patcharachuta said she does not want to re-trace her playing path. I don't wish to describe my game. All I can say is that I played badly," she said. 

However, compatriot CHUTICHAI, PORANI could have given her fellow Thai competitors some cheers. The lass from Chiangmai was lying second until she faltered with three consecutive bogeys from the 15th hole to finish with a 2-under 70 to be tied fourth place with South Korea's PYUN, AE-REE and Japan's WAKABAYASHI, MAIKO on 212. 

"It was not really big mistakes. It was just that my ball rolled away into the bunker after hitting the greens. It was just frustrating but I guess it's all in the game," said Porani.