Saturday, December 11, 2010

Frost Takes Charge in Mauritius


Denis O’Sullivan completed day two in three under par at the Mauritius Commercial Bank Open on Saturday to finish in a share of 23rd place after carding a round of 69 at the Legends Course at Constance Belle Mare Plage signing for a one under par total. 

Jimmy Heggarty opened his round with an eagle two on the par four first and completed his round in two under par 70 to finish one over par for the tournament. 

David Frost’s of South African took control of the tournament and set up a potentially perfect ending to a sensational first season in the Senior ranks after starting the day three strokes behind overnight leader Gary Wolstenholme. 

But a masterful display of shot-making around the testing Legends Course t saw him produce a ten birdies and two bogeys in a sparkling eight under 64, he finished the second round two shots clear of Wolstenholme. 

Having won on the Champions Tour in America and finished second in the US Senior PGA Championship, Frost is now poised to make his victory breakthrough on the European Senior Tour if he can hold off Wolstenholme and a chasing pack that includes the English duo of Roger Chapman and Barry Lane. 

The South African is lying on ten under par 134, with Wolstenholme two shots back and Chapman four off the pace. Lane is joined by Argentina’s Adan Sowa on four under, with Frenchman Marc Farry and the South African duo of Bertus Smit and Steve Van Vuuren 

“I played great today,” said Frost. “I hit the ball very well and hit it in pretty close for a few nice short birdie putts. It was one of those days when the main thing I had to focus on was the mental approach – staying out of my own way mentally and continuing to commit to my shots and my lines because I was striking the ball so well. 

“It would be great to win tomorrow – it would be a very nice way to end what has already been a great season for me with winning in America and finishing second in a Major. It has been good 
to do so well in my first full year on the Senior Tour and I have definitely rediscovered my game and my desire to win after thinking that I was finished a few years ago.