Monday, July 26, 2010

A new experience ahead in Killarney!


By Michael Collins, FORE Ireland 

“When my parents took me back to the Carroll’s Irish Open in Killarney in 1992, little did they think that I would one day be making my European Tour debut at the same venue! 

At the time, I was just starting to play golf in Doneraile and at 12 years of age, at my first tournament, I was amazed by the whole experience. I would also add that seeing the likes of Faldo and Langer in the flesh really boosted my interest in the game. In 2009 I finished in the precious position of 8th in the Irish Order of Merit. 

After ninth place in 2008 and 2007 I was delighted to finally secure a place in the Irish Open. 

Killarney thankfully is only down the road from Mallow and only 15 minutes from Killorglin where my wife Claire is from. So you could say its home from home and even more so since Dave Keating, my coach, is now head professional and a key part of my progression over the past few years. 

I’ve been down a good bit over the last few weeks and everyone down there has been great to me, even though I’m a Cork man! 

I don’t think people realise the amount of work that goes into staging an event like this from the grandstands to tented Village to the miles of cabling for the camera crews. It looks like, and probably is, a logistical nightmare for those involved but I’m sure it will be well worth it. 

So, I am moving in with the Mother in law for the week!! I know!! 

Also, fellow FORE ireland player and good friend Mark Staunton is going to caddy for me which I am delighted about as we play quiet a lot together and he knows my game pretty well. Claire and Baby Daniel will also be down for the week so at least I’ll have a few die hard supporters. 

I’m really looking forward to the week ahead and intent on enjoying every minute as it is another step forward for me and another box ticked. 

However, having said that, it’s not much good if you don’t make the best of your opportunities when they present themselves. 

So Mam and Dad, forget Faldo in 1992, this year ye can follow Collins and who knows, ye might even get a free ticket! “



Enhanced by Zemanta