Thursday, July 15, 2010

David Mortimer Wins Dundrum




[Photo: INPHO]



David Mortimer of FORE Ireland carded a one under par 71 to win the 10th Annual Philip Walton Dundrum House Hotel Pro Am by one shot on Wednesday from three players - Mark Staunton of FORE Ireland, David Higgins of Waterville and Jimmy Bolger of Kilkenny Golf club – all on level par. 

Course designer Philip Walton signed for a second round 74 to finish in a four way tie for eleventh place on four in a group that included Simon Thornton and Barrie Trainor of Team Ireland, along with David Ryan of Cahir Park Golf Club. 

Michael Collins of FORE Ireland signed for a second round 78 to drop down the field to share nineteenth place. 

Collins heads to Killarney in ten days for the 3 Irish Open having secured one of the top eight places in the 2009 Irish Order of Merit and will join David Higgins, Damien Mooney, John Kelly, Peter Martin, Gary Cullen, Barrie Trainor and European tour Rookie, Simon Thornton. 

The win in Dundrum House is the fourth this season for 2006 Irish PGA Championship winner, David Mortimer, as he recently won the Castewarden Golf Club Pro Am, the Lisburn One Day Sprint – in a tie with Barrie Trainor – and the Glenmuir PGA Professional Championship Irish Region qualifier – which he shared with Donal Gleeson 

David Mortimer’s next event on the Irish PGA Calendar is the McCAMBRIDGE/DUFFY City of Derry PRO-AM on 16th - 18th July 2010.

Speaking afterwards David Mortimer said:



"I am delighted to have won the Dundrum House Pro Am, its is a course that over the years I found challenging to play well around. The course is a tight tree lined with narrow fairways but thank full this year I happened to keep my ball on the fairway."

"I started day 1 with a solid 72, 2 birdies, 2 bogies and the rest pars, probably should have squeezed 2 shots better, but I guess I’m not the only pro who left a few out there."

"Day 2 I started on the 10th hole, one of the toughest holes on the course, a poor drive left me with a bogie, regulation pars followed till I got to 13 where I up and downed from 50 yards for birdie on the par 5, solid par on 14 and on 15 got a good break of the tee which clipped the tree on the right left me with a wedge to 15 feet, which lead to my second birdie of the day, all pars followed then till my 11th hole, the 2nd hole as you play the course, I hit my tee shot into the fairway bunker on the right, 80 yards from the flag, the ball was sitting down, but I stuck a solid gap wedge to 12 feet and rolled the putt in for birdie, regulation pars followed till my 17 hole where I over shot the green and missed from 4 feet for par."

"Good drive on my last lead to a solid 7 iron 20 feet but I left the  putt  short on line." 

"Got a few choice words from my team, Vincent, Liam and Chris afterwards for leaving the putt short, but thankfully this putt didn’t cost as I scraped over the finishing line by one shot.  On my way to City of Derry Pro Am this weekend hopefully the weather will better this year compared to the weather we normally get up there. "