Thursday, June 17, 2010

David Higgins Leads Lexus Race to Mount Juliet

David Higgins of Waterville held off the challenge of some Ireland’s European Tour players to seize the Quinn Insurance Pro Am – and a ten thousand pound pay day - with two rounds of 66 to card a total of 12 under to win the event by three shots from Damien McGrane.

With the victory the Waterville professional - and 2009 Irish Order of Merit winner – leapfrogs a number of players to take the lead of the 2010 Lexus Race to Mount Juliet Order of Merit from Eamon Brady of Clontarf and David Mortimer of FORE Ireland in third place

Following a number of weeks diligently playing a significant number of events on the Irish PGA circuit the former European Tour card holder took to the Slieve Russell course on the first day finishing 6 under par to hold a one shot from John Kelly and Brian McElhinney.

On the second day Higgins repeated the six under par score to finish in a tie with Damien Mooney on the day and a combined score of 132 to win the tournament.

Simon Thornton carded a four under par total after two rounds of 70 [aggregate 140] with Peter Lawrie finishing on 142.

The in form Mark Staunton of FORE Ireland signed for 3 under alongside team mate David Mortimer both on 141; Michael Collins carded 142 [74, 71] in a tie with Philip Walton [73.72].


Michael Collins said:

“This week was the biggest Pro Am of the year at the Quinn Charity Pro Am at the Slieve Russell hotel and Country Club in Cavan. All the pro’s look forward to this event as we are always well treated with our accommodation and food covered for the 2 days as well as playing for the substantial prize fund of €70,000.”

“I finished 1 over for the 2 rounds (74 and 71) in 21st position. Even though its not where I wanted to finish, there were better signs of getting back to form with a lot of good shots being hit without a huge amount of reward on the greens.”

“Over the 2 rounds I hit 2 poor tee shots which cost me 3 shots and a terrible kick on the 11th hole I round 2 cost me a double also. Round 2 was a little frustrating as 4 birdies and an eagle were diluted by the double on 11 and 3 bogeys, 2 of which were three putts on 2 and 7 ( my 11th and 16th). I wasn’t overly worried by the 3 putts because I was pushing for birdies to try and get under par for the tournament and push up towards the top 10 and the better money.”

“What I was happy with was I hit 15 greens and missed another 2 by 2 yards. That is a big improvement on my stats over the last month or so where I was averaging closer to 12 greens per round. Even my 68 in Dundalk consisted of only 13 greens. Greens in regulation would normally be one of my stronger stats so, with a marked improvement in my putting this year and a continued improvement in G.I.R.s, I should be able to get back to competing at the business end of tournaments shortly.”