Monday, May 31, 2010

Staunton Smashes Record at Foxrock

PHOTO : INPHO ©

Mark Staunton of FORE Ireland broke the course record at Foxrock Golf Club by two shots carding a 63 to win the club Pro Am on Sunday, two ahead of John Kelly (65) of St. Margarets and four ahead of Peter Jones (67) of Coollattin Golf Club.

Last week Staunton missed the cut at the EURO Pro Tour with over par rounds of 74 and 75 at the Pandora Open rueing many missed putts. The 2007 Irish PGA Order of Merit winner was anxious put that second missed cut at Burhill Golf Club in Walton-on-Thames behind when he played the South Dublin venue at the weekend.

Mark Staunton Reviews Round:

“Finally a bit of a good news blog!”

“I won the Pro Am in Foxrock after shooting 63,” explained Mark Staunton, “ I got a bit of good work done with the putter on Friday in Burhill after missing the cut getting some advice from Mick Collins [FORE Ireland] and I changed a couple of things - which made a big difference. It still wasn't back to where it should be, but was enough to hole some of the good chances I set up for myself.”

“Foxrock was in great condition yesterday, as it always is for the Pro Am, and the greens were rolling well, which helps for starters,” Mark Staunton continued, “I've been hitting the ball well for a while, and yesterday was even a little bit better, hitting seventeen greens, each one within hole-able range. The big difference was that I felt like i had some chance of holing a few putts.”

“I missed a good chance on the first for birdie, but holed a good eight footer for bogie on the second and a tricky six footer on the third for birdie. Those two putts gave me a bit of a boost of the confidence I've been lacking. After the second, I had chances on every single green, never putting myself under pressure. Despite missing from a foot and a half on the fourth, some dropped as the day went on with further birdies on the 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th and 18th”


“One bogey, eight birdies and a new course record seven under 63. Hopefully a corner turned for the season to come!” Staunton concluded.

The previous course record of had been set by Brendan McGovern of Headfort Golf Club sixteen years ago.