Sunday, April 17, 2011

Melissa Reid and Laura Davies Share 2nd

Melissa Reid

English pair Laura Davies and Melissa Reid momentarily tied for the lead after mixing six birdies with one bogey on the front nine for an outward total of 31, but they stalled on the back nine until Davies holed a monster eagle putt from across the green at the last, coming back in 35 for a 66.

Davies said: “I must admit, when we made the turn and Mel made that great putt on nine, I thought, ‘We’re in here,’ I really thought we were going to have a strong chance but we’ve not had one good back nine the whole week. Again, apart from that one good putt on the 18th we struggled on the back nine, so we fizzled out a little bit, but it was good fun, I enjoyed it. We wanted to beat the Welsh more than anything else and I knew they were making a birdie so I had to finish strong and get that one to the hole.”

Reid added: “We just didn’t hole anything really all week. That was the first putt we holed from some distance on the 18th, which was nice, but it’s such a fun week and an eagle to finish was nice.”