Monday, April 11, 2011

K.J. Choi Putts Leave Him Short at Augusta

K.J. Choi and Playing partner, Charl Schwatrzel

K.J. Choi of Korea settled for his third career top-10 finish at The Masters following an even-par 72 on Sunday.

The Asian Tour's charge was derailed with two closing bogeys as he finished in tied eighth place on an eight-under-par 280 total, six strokes behind playing partner and tournament winner Charl Schwartzel of South Africa at the Augusta National Golf Club.

“I couldn't make putts. He (Schwartzel) made some good birdies. I tried my best, I can't help how I finished, but all I can hope is to try it again next year,” said Choi.

Playing in his ninth appearance in The Masters, Choi finished third in 2004 and tied fourth in 2010 and believes he is coming closer to donning the green jacket, which is awarded to the winner of the tournament.

“I came so close, I'm getting better so it's a good experience. I'm just looking forward to next year,” added the seven-time US PGA Tour champion.

Choi’s compatriot Y.E. Yang closed with a 73 for a 285 total to finish in tied 20th place.a superb week being aggressive with his hybrids and putting style. On Sunday, he took some chances on the back nine to try and make up ground that cost him a pair of bogeys over the final two holes and Choi had to settle for a T-8 finish.

"I still felt like I had a chance off that birdie on 15. I just hit a bad shot on 17. But you know what Charl played so well today you couldn't do anything. It was his tournament to win."