Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cabrera Hopes Masters Experience Counts

Angel Cabrera 

Angel Cabrera finally found his rhythm in the third round of the US Masters and the 2009 champion is now just four shots off the lead.

The Argentine - who became the first South American to don the green jacket two years ago - opened with solid, if unspectacular, rounds of one-under and two-under.

The 41-year-old was struggling to back his own swing after a four-month injury layoff in the latter part of 2010.

But he showed no such hesitation on Saturday as he carded a five-under 67 - the joint-lowest round recorded on day three.

"I think the confidence was the key," Cabrera said.

"The first two days I was hitting it okay, but I lacked that confidence and today I had it and I trusted and that made a big difference."

"I actually stopped playing for four months from August to January," he added.

"My swing wasn't the same but I've been working on it and just keep plugging (away)."

"I had a problem with tendonitis in the left wrist ... the doctor told me I had to at least stop three months. So it's not that I didn't want to play; I was told by a doctor."

Together with Tiger Woods, Cabrera is one of only two major winners in the top 10 of the leaderboard going into the final 18 holes at the Masters.

And the 2007 US Open champion is hoping experience could count in his favour during the pressure cooker of a Sunday at Augusta.

"The young kids are playing very well," he said.

"I think they deserve it; Rory (McIlroy), Jason (Day). But obviously I have won the Masters, so that should help me a lot."

"You've got to see how it evolves, how everybody is playing, how the weather is, and depending on that, then you start making decisions on what kind of strategy you're going to use."

"You've got to start your round and start playing and see how things are, but once you are on 10, that's when you know the tournament starts, that's when you know you have to be aggressive (or) you have to be a little bit conservative."

"Now that I see that I'm playing well, I sure think I can do it."