Sunday, March 13, 2011

Westwood Closes Cadillac with 68

Lee Westwood 

Lee Westwood signed for a round of 68 with a birdie on the final hole on Sunday at the TPC Blue Monster and the round was his best of the week as Westwood had not broken 70 in the first three rounds.

“I had lots of chances, hit the ball good,” Westwood said. “I think I’m going good, gradually. 68 is probably the worst it could have been. I lost a little momentum around the turn on 9, 11, 12. It could’ve been 7 or 8 under through 12. I’ve played not spectacular but alright, gradually seeing improvement.” 

The World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship was the final of three straight events in the United States for Westwood having finished in the second round of the Accenture Match Play Championship and then tied for 29th last week at The Honda Classic.

Westwood, who spent 17 weeks at No. 1 before being unseated by Martin Kaymer, will have to wait until the end of play Sunday to see whether he slips another spot down the world rankings. 

Luke Donald, who is currently two shots off the lead, could pass him with a win.

Westwood will take the next two weeks off, then play in the Shell Houston Open and the Masters. where her finished second last years.

“I’m looking forward to playing in Houston,” said Westwood, who plans to play practice rounds at Augusta National the weekend before the Shell Houston Open. “It’s a golf course I like and I’ve played well there in the past. The greens are very similar to the Masters.”