Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mickelson Makes it Through Day One

Phil Mickelson at WGC-Accenture Match Play

Phil Mickelson got a good practice session in back home in San Diego before heading to this Tucson suburb to play in the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship.


Once he got down to business on Wednesday, Mickelson made short work of his opponent, too — beating Australia’s Brendan Jones 6 and 5. Mickelson made his third birdie of the day on the 13th hole to seal the victory that send him to a second-round date with Rickie Fowler.
Phil Mickelson

"I love playing here in Tucson, it’s a special place for my heart," Mickelson said. "And I was able to make some adjustments with how far the ball was going and hit some good iron shots. But the key for me winning this match was driving it. I drove the ball well and kept it in play and didn’t give any holes away.

"My opponent is a heck of a player, but he hit two or three into the desert and ended up giving me a few holes, which ultimately was the difference." 

The Accenture Match Play Championship is Mickelson’s fifth straight PGA TOUR event. The first was the Farmers Insurance Open, a home game where he finished second. He also commuted to and from San Diego last week as he played in the Northern Trust Open so Mickelson same to Dove Mountain well-rested.

"It feels pretty good," he said. "And I’m very pleased with how I’m striking the ball and chipping and putting and so forth. But because I stayed at home two of those weeks, it doesn’t feel like it’s been this many. And I feel like I’m fairly rested and excited to play."

Mickelson is playing in the Accenture Match Play Championship for the 11th time this week. His best finish came in 2004 where he lost in the quarterfinals to Davis Love III. After living in Scottsdale for several years, the world No. 5 is well-acquainted with desert golf and his vaunted short game is a big asset here. 

"The great thing about this golf course, the greens tend to be quite ridiculous," Mickelson said. "Because of that you have to have a variety of shots around the greens. Nothing is straightforward. You have to be able to go through the air, you have to be able to spin it, run it. My short game gave me a few holes, able to chip it close."

Helen Ross