Friday, November 26, 2010

GMAC Loses Patience on Earth



Ross Fisher and Ian Poulter share the halfway lead at the Dubai World Championship presented by DP World, as Martin Kaymer took control of The Race to Dubai.

The German only had one remaining challenger going into the final week of The European Tour season, but Graeme McDowell’ bid to be Europe's Number One was left hanging by a thread.

From saying he needed "a big weekend" after a level par opening 72, the Northern Irishman now needs a huge one after adding a 73.

Only a top three finish will give McDowell a chance of overtaking Kaymer in the last week of the year-long race, but he is down in 42nd spot.

He also trails new leaders Poulter and Fisher by ten - Fisher shot a course record-equalling 64 and Kaymer is in a tie for fourth only two back after a 70.

"I was just very quick to lose patience with myself," said McDowell, who after climbing from 25th to sixth spot with three birdies in the first seven holes bogeyed four of the next seven.

"I don't think I have a huge amount in the tank and I'm finding it tough to scramble.

"There are enough good shots in there to give myself a chance, but I'm getting frustrated very quickly.

"Ken (his caddie Ken Comboy) said he had never seen me like that and maybe this is one step too far." This is his fifth week in a row.

"I had three three-putts yesterday and from the middle of the eighth fairway with an eight iron I missed the green and then did the same on the ninth.

"Just simple, stupid mistakes - the sign of a man whose head is not very sharp.

"But I'm going to give it 100 per cent - everything I have left - and it's not over. To have two 65s now is not out of the question."

The US Open Championship winner was reminded that at The Celtic Manor Wales Open in June he only just made the cut, then shot 64-63 to win by three.

But he admits the Earth Course at Jumeirah Estates, where he came only 30th last year, frustrates "the life out of me".

Kaymer is odds-on therefore to take The Race to Dubai crown, but becoming World Number One looks a whole lot tougher.

Lee Westwood is the man ahead of him there and this week's defending champion moved into third place with a 67.

He was playing with Poulter and while Westwood birdied the first three Poulter birdied the first four en route to a 66.

Last week's UBS Hong Kong Open champion has yet to drop a stroke.