Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thornton Makes Best of Portugal Call


Paul McGinley carded an opening round of 66 to lead the Irish challenge in a share of eighth place at the Portugal Masters to remain two shots of the joint leaders on 8 under par at the Oceanico Victoria Golf Course at Vilamoura. 

In contrast Simon Thornton of Team Ireland, who had been on the reserve list until Wednesday night, got a late call on Thursday and scrambled his way to the tee box - managing to finish his round in level par. 

Swedish pair of Robert Karlsson and Johan Edfors were joined by Dutchman Maarten Lafeber in a three-way tie for the first round lead at the Portugal Masters after all three shot eight under par rounds of 64 on a day when benign conditions paved the way for some impressive scoring. 

Despite his impressive start Karlsson was quick to play down talk of an 11th European Tour title. 

"Three days to go, I'm very happy to put in a great score and then we go from here," he said. "Just very pleased with today, and that's one of my goals, is to play well every day as a separate tournament, but if I can put up another three at least, maybe I have a chance. 

"I try to play every tournament as a separate event. This is the tournament I'm playing. It doesn't matter if I'm first on The Race to Dubai or 150. This event is this event only - I can't do more." 

His compatriot Edfors recorded all three of his European Tour wins in 2006, and was pleased to take advantage of the calm conditions on the Algarve. 

"Barely no wind and it's playing really soft," he said, before adding that a first 59 in European Tour history was a possibility this week. 

"I played decent on the front nine, I had a little slow start. I had a couple good chances that I missed but then after that, I holed really every chance I got there, and the putting was just fantastic. I didn't hit it all that close actually today but I holed a lot of 15 20 footers for birdie." 

Lafeber's round was all the more remarkable considering it contained a double bogey at the 18th - his ninth - but the former Dutch Open winner was in fine form as he registered 11 birdies. 

On a good day for the Swedish contingent, Alexander Noren shot a seven under 65 to share fourth place with Finn Mikko Ilonen, with England's David Horsey and Ryder Cup Vice Captain Paul McGinley a shot further back. 

Damien McGrane is five under after a round of 67. 

Peter Lawrie had notched up six birdies - making the turn in 32 - but then dropped two shots with a double bogey on the last hole - the par four ninth - to finish four under par. The Dubliner joins Shane Lowry and Gareth Maybin - who eagled holes 5 and 12 – as both also signed for rounds of 68. 

Michael Hoey finished two under par after a round of 70. 

Darren Clarke signed for a round of 72 to finish level par along with Simon Thornton.