Monday, June 28, 2010

Lunn Wins in Portugal and Johnson is Second

Trish Johnson
Australian Karen Lunn shot a superb final round of seven under par 65 to claim her first Ladies European Tour title in 13 years at the Portugal Ladies Open. 

The key to her final round was a fast start at Campo Real near Lisbon, with an eagle and three birdies over the first five holes. She played the front nine in just 30 strokes for a six under par outward total, before coming home in one under par, sinking a crucial birdie putt at the last hole. 

Lunn, the 1993 Women’s British Open champion, finished on 12 under par after three rounds, one shot ahead of England’s Trish Johnson, who also shot 65, and Iben Tinning of Denmark (68). 

The experienced LET player, in her 26th season on Tour, was on fire from the start of her final round, making a 30 foot eagle putt at the first hole to get within a stroke of the overnight leader Italian Stefania Croce. 

She said: “It was a real roller coaster ride. I was nervous but I knew that I was playing well.

“I played really well the first two days but didn’t make anything and felt quite disappointed I was only five under. I knew that I had to get off to a quick start and I did that. I holed a nice 30 footer at the first for an eagle and a nice ten footer at the second. I played great the front nine, holed a couple of putts and then hung on the back nine. I had a couple of three putts and got a little bit nervous but I managed somehow to finish it off.” 

She credited Karrie Webb, whom she partnered at the Comunitat Valenciana European Nations Cup in Spain in April, as an inspiration. The Australian pair tied for second place behind Sweden after a three-hole sudden death play-off. 

“I think I took a lot away from the (Comunitat Valenciana European) Nations Cup, playing with Karrie and I played really well that week. She was really encouraging and she said to me, ‘You should take a lot away from this week and go and play well.’

She said, ‘You should be winning tournaments,’ and that was great. I think I took a lot of confidence from that. I took a lot away from that week and I’m not sure I’d be standing here if I didn’t have that experience.” 

Trish Johnson, a 15-time tournament winner playing a group ahead of Lunn, chipped in from the back of the 18th green for birdie to set the target and Tinning had a chance to catch the leader with a long eagle putt on the last hole. 

England’s Florentyna Parker, the recent ABN AMRO Ladies Open champion, finished alone in fourth place on 10 under par, followed by Lee-Anne Pace, the Deutsche Bank Ladies Open champion, Mollie Fankhauser from the USA and first round leader Sophie Sandolo in equal fifth on eight under par. 

The 2009 champion Johanna Westerberg finished a stroke back in a share of eighth place along with Australian Frances Bondad and Kim Welch of the United States, while the second round leader Croce finished in a tie for 15th.

Lunn, who earned a first prize of €30,000, will now head to Buenavista Golf for the Tenerife Ladies Open but she has also secured her place at this summer’s major events: the Ricoh Women’s British Open and the Evian Masters presented by Societe Generale.

Rebecca Coakley of Team Ireland shot a third consecutive 70 to finish in a tie for 11th place.

Martina Gillen was six shots back on 216 after a final 71.