Monday, April 4, 2011

Scott Verplank Accepts Shell Second Place

Scott Verplank

"Well, I'm disappointed that I didn't give it a little bit better shot the last four, five holes, but, I mean, honestly, I mean I'm not much of a complainer anyway. Honestly, I was hoping to get to play and hoping to build off getting to play last week."

"I actually played pretty well last week. I finished thirty-something because I had so many mess-ups. But I was encouraged. The three tournaments I've been to play this year, I've been very even encouraged with my game. It's just the fact that I haven't been able to play very often."

"Yeah. You know, I guess, you know, other than if you don't win, second I guess is the next best deal. It's nice that I hadn't forgotten how to play. I didn't have a whole lot of confidence. If you're hurt, you don't have a whole ton of confidence in your body, it's hard to have confidence in anything."

"So, you know, I was a little -- I was less than 80 percent today. I wasn't quite as -- not -- no excuse. I didn't have the same kind of strength in my grip, and I just didn't have as good a control over the club face. But, for 13 holes I hung in there pretty tough, you know, and Phil obviously played great. I mean, I was I birdieing every other hole, and I couldn't pull away from the guy. He was birdieing every hole. It was good. We had a good time playing together."

"I enjoyed playing with him. I'm happy the see him win since I didn't."