Sunday, April 3, 2011

NZ Rising Star Lydia Ko Continues Winning

Lydia Ko at North Island Championships

The sensational summer has continued for 13-year-old Lydia Ko, who edged out rival and world No 2 Cecilia Cho to win the North Island strokeplay title in Auckland.

The world No 3 amateur fired a three-under 69 at Whitford Park to finish on 10-under par 278, beating her New Zealand teammate by one shot, to retain the title she won in Taupo last year.

It follows top performances including leading amateur at the Australian and New Zealand Opens and victory in the Australian Amateur strokeplay.

Ryan Fox claimed his first New Zealand golf championship event in commanding fashion, winning the men's title by a remarkable 11 shots.

Fox, 23, who was a member at Whitford Park in his formative golf years, shot a one-under 70 today to finish on a superb 17-under par 267.

After rounds of 65, 67 and 65, Fox was comparatively subdued with his final round 70, mixing four birdies with three bogeys, after only one dropped shot in his first 54 holes.

The women's title was set for a battle royal with Cho and Ko tied for the lead on seven-under overnight.

Cho went to eight-under after five holes today, matched by Ko with a birdie at the following hole.

Cho (Pakuranga) then dropped a shot at the seventh before Ko picked one up at the eighth, to give the North Shore Golf Club player a two shot buffer at the turn.

Cho reduced the margin with a birdie at the 12th with both making birdies at the next hole.

Ko made the clutch 3m birdie putt at the 17th to again give her a two shot buffer, and allowed herself the luxury of a bogey at the last hole as Cho missed her birdie chance to send the contest to sudden death.

"It was challenging but I managed to make that birdie putt on the 17th which gave me the two-shot margin," Ko said.

"I didn't think the putt was going in but it slipped in which was great.

"Today I just tried to hit it straight and keep in play and hopefully make some putts. I didn't hit it as well as I had in the first three rounds though.

"I think this kind of battle will make us both better players."

The pair were well clear of third-placed Hanee Song (North Shore) who was 10 shots behind the winner.

Fox was never under any pressure in a one-horse race for the men's honours, starting the day with a 10-shot buffer.

It continues a superb year for Fox with some strong performances both at home and in Australia.

"The win means a lot to me," Fox said. "I've been playing really well all year and this is a continuation.

"I've worked really hard. The big improvements have been off the tee where I am much straighter and on the greens where I've eliminated the three-putts.

"The thing is I am still not hitting enough fairways but I'm not hitting it into big trouble. It's the same on the greens where I've still got lots of room for improvement. I am pretty excited about the improvements I've made and what I can still achieve.

"I am looking forward to the New Zealand amateur now."

Fox finished 11 shots ahead of Christchurch's Keelan Kilpatrick (Russley) on six-under, with fellow Royal Auckland clubmate Fraser Wilkin a further shot back in third.

North Island strokeplay championships leading scores after round 4, Whitford Park CC