Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Focus On - Marcus Both

Marcus Both

Australia’s Marcus Both, a two-time winner on the Asian Tour, goes through the motion and answers 10 questions that you may not know about him. 

1. What is your favourite club in the bag?
My putter. I absolutely love it. It’s a Scotty Cameron putter and I got it built to my exact specifications.

2. Who was your idol when you were growing up?
Greg Norman. When I was growing up, he was the world number one and every Australian golfer looked up to him.

3. What car do you drive at home and what is your dream car?
I just bought a HSV (Holden Special Vehicle) GTS which has 500bps of power. My dream car would be to own a Mercedes-Benz SLS.

4. If you were not a golfer, what would you be?
Probably a Tour rep with one of the manufacturers.

5. What’s playing on your ipod now?
It’s a mix of everything. I’ve got Match Box 20 and a band called Script. You should check it out.

6. Who is your favourite roommate on Tour?
I like to room by myself. I get to wake up whenever I want to without disrupting the other player.

7. How do you spend time at home when you’re not on the Asian Tour?
I like to hang out with my friends. Of course I’ll also work with my coach (Adam Fraser) and I like getting onto the race track because I love my car!

8. What do you do when the pressure is on during a Sunday afternoon?
I’ll do exactly the same thing as I did not Thursday. You don’t want to change your routine.

9. Do you have any rituals when you play?
I used to not play the number 3 ball. But it doesn’t matter now. I’ll play any ball numbered five, six, seven or eight.

10. If you had US$10 million in the bank, what would you do?
I’ll donate a bit to charity. Over the past few years, we’ve helped a bit during the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open and it was good. Of course I’d love to buy my flash car as well!

About Marcus 
Country: Australia
Date of Birth: June 8, 1979
Residence: Melbourne
Family: Single
Turned pro: 2003

ASIAN TOUR VICTORIES: (2) 2003 Sanya Open, China, 2009 Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS: Marcus ended a six-year title drought when he won the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open in 2009, claiming a one-shot victory to add to his lone triumph in the 2003 Sanya Open in China. He has been knocking on the door on several occasions after revamping his swing under the guidance of Adam Fraser, a former Asian Tour regular. He started the year strongly with a tied third finish but missed numerous cuts before bouncing back with top-10s in the Hero Honda Indian Open and Barclays Singapore Open to enjoy his best ever season to date. In 2010, Marcus endured a mixed bag but produced his best golf towards the end of the year to finish tied fifth in the Hero Honda Indian Open, equal sixth in his defence in Cambodia and tied eighth in the season-ending Black Mountain Masters.

PERSONAL: Marcus was a scholarship holder at the Australian Institute of Sports from 1998 to 2002 and said the experience helped in the transition from amateur to pro ranks. Said he enjoyed his first season in Asia not because of the fact that he won on Tour but because he enjoyed the different cultures and different cities across the region. “The experience was tremendous and I thoroughly enjoyed my first year in Asia,” he said.