Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Asians to Star at Doral Blue Monster

Noh Seung-yul

Korea’s Noh Seung-yul and Indian S.S.P. Chowrasia, the reigning and current Asian Tour number ones, will lead the region’s charge in the WGC-Cadillac Championship starting on Thursday.

The dynamic duo will be joined by Korean stalwarts Y.E. Yang and K.J. Choi and Marcus Fraser of Australia, who finished second on the Order of Merit last year, at the TPC Blue Monster in Doral, Florida.

Noh, the youngest ever to win on the Asian Tour Order of Merit last season at the age of 19, is however battling against time to recover from an injured finger.

On Wednesday, he tweeted: “My left index finger hurts a lot. I’m in so much pain and can’t practice (Tuesday). I’m worried I can’t play in the tournament.” 

Noh has been paired with former Asian Tour young prodigy Kevin Na of the United States and Australian Peter Senior.

He was looking forward to competing against the world’s best players after lessons with swing guru Butch Harmon, a former coach of Tiger Woods.

“Monday was my first practice round in Doral and I was having difficulties hitting it straight with my new swing. However, I started hitting it good again with Harmon’s advice at the driving range. I’ll put it to use this week,” he tweeted.

He stayed on in the United States after failing to get past the first hurdle at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship last month when he lost to world number one Martin Kaymer of Germany.

Chowrasia, who currently leads the Order of Merit after winning the Avantha Masters in India last month, will be aiming to stand tall alongside the stars of the game.

The son of a greenskeeper, the Indian ended a three-year title drought by winning on home soil and he will cherish the opportunity of competing in a WGC event.

Chowrasia conceded that he struggled with his game after a life-changing victory at the 2008 Indian Masters but believes he is now back to his best form after working hard with his coach.

“I had a problem with my swing and that was the reason for my title drought. I worked on it with my coach Pritam Saikia and sorted out the problems. This finally got my confidence going,” said Chowrasia, nicknamed “Chip-putt-sia” for his short game prowess.

Yang could be a strong contender as he has been riding a rich vein of form. In the last two weeks, he reached the quarter-finals of the WGC-Accenture Match Play and finished second in the Honda Classic on Sunday.

“I haven’t had any coaching for the past six months. I’m just trying to get my swing right. In the end, you know your swing best,” tweeted Yang, Asia’s first Major champion.

Australian Fraser will be among the elite field through his second placing on the Asian Tour Order of Merit last year.