Monday, November 1, 2010

Higgins Targets Srixon Play-Offs


David Higgins, Lexus Race to Mount Juliet order of merit winner on the Irish PGA Region, is hoping to improve on last year's sixth-place finish as he prepares for the Srixon PGA Play-Offs at Little Aston Golf Club in Birmingham on November 3rd and 4th – as the event decides the No.1 ranked PGA player for 2010 and brings together the top three from each of the PGA seven regions.

Higgins, of Waterville Golf Club, Co. Kerry, has set his sights on a top-two finish as he aims to make the best of a disappointing end to 2010.

Despite winning the Irish Region Order of Merit for the fourth time and for the second year running, Higgins failed to get past the first round of Tour School at Dundonald Links. Although topping the Order of Merit already gives him a place in two European Tour events - the Irish Open and the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth; the 36-hole Srixon PGA Play-Off event provides an opportunity to win starts in the Barclays Scottish Open and Celtic Manor Wales Open - plus a handful of Challenge Tour spots.

Higgins clinched the Order of Merit title with victory in the final event at Mount Juliet where he shot a seven-under-par 65.

"I wish Little Aston was a week earlier than it is because my form's been good.” Higgins explained, "It was disappointing not to get through at Dundonald but there was some crazy weather up there and I think I got the wrong side of the draw.

"But I can't use that as an excuse, whatever the conditions are, you have to perform and I didn't. The Order of Merit win makes up for that to a certain extent, but I really need to do well at Little Aston to get more Tour starts.

"I played there last year and found the course suited me. I had a top six finish but I really need to do better than that this time, we're all after those top two places and I'm no exception.

"It will actually be quite expensive for me to compete and sixth place would barely cover the outlay. But it's not about the money so I'll be aiming high.
"I think it'll be a real shoot-out though. I've seen some of the other guys taking part and I've played against most of them at some point - so the standard is going to be really high. This is the cream of the crop from the regions."

But Higgins feels he can use his experience at Little Aston last year to his advantage.
"You can never play a course too many times. So to have played it last year is an advantage, I will be able to prepare from home for what it will offer. I made a few mistakes last year so I hope I can learn from that."

Higgins will be joined by Damian Mooney and current Glenmuir PGA Professional champion David Mortimer of Fore Ireland.