Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Some Irish Ryder Cup Moments


For one crazy week it is Europe versus the USA on a golf course in a match played in front of thousands of people in a very intense atmosphere. In the United States it can be even more difficult as the fans are very biased – especially if the home team is winning – so not easy.

Our win in Oak Hill Country Club in 1995 was a huge break for many of the older players who had never won in the US.

What followed my putt on eighteen felt like mayhem and there was a spontaneous party that moved to the club house, followed by a late night and a journey home the next day on Concorde to Dublin, as most us were down to play the Smurfit European Open at the K Club. Not sure there was much point in playing given we were all knackered. 

On landing in Dublin Gallacher and Seve insisted I get off first holding the Ryder Cup trophy. 

Funnily enough although I had just played golf in front of thousands of people the limelight part was more difficult for me to handle and they had to drag me down from the middle of the plane to do it.

The memories of the last at Oak Hill was of a deafening silence when my chip ran towards the hole and as I could not see the ball standing below the green and the lack of reaction worried me for a moment. Then I realised that I had just annoyed about twenty thousand Americans around the green so they weren’t happy.

The ball was buried in the thick grass on the edge and at one point I almost stood on it because it couldn't be seen. Thanks to the foresight of Ian Woosnam it worked out. He had made me practice that shot in the tough grass for two days at the start of the week and wouldn’t let me stop until he was happy I had it in my armory.

Having seen my putt on the 17th slip I needed to make sure of this one went close. Whe
n the ball rested within inches of the hole Jay Haas conceded and before my caddie, Roy McLoughlin could replace the flag Captain Bernard Gallacher came charging towards me lifting me up in the air in the middle of the green and people from everywhere joined in. 

From orderly golf to absolute bedlam in seconds.

Since that putt things did not stop and in the public eye there was never a more important moment in my career. It is still the thing I am most asked about and in that sense it was career changing. But in many other ways it was not what people might think as my game began to struggle after that September. 

There were Irish players before me who had been key to Ryder Cup wins and undoubtedly their lives were changed too - but they didn't seem to be as affected. 

In 1987 at Muirfield Village, Ohio, Eamonn Darcy sank a nerve-jangling five foot downhill putt on the last green to beat Ben Crenshaw and secure Europe’s first victory on American soil – a major break through at the time. 

At The Belfry in 1989 Christy O’Connor Jnr’s two iron to the middle of the green was enough to beat the Fred Couples and retain the trophy for Europe. 

Of course in 2002 when Curtis Strange kept his best two players at the bottom of the line-up the USA were unable to stop the European charge. 

It was Paul McGinley who secured the final half-point against Jim Furyk – who was unlucky not to hole from the bunker like Azinger in the preceding match - to win at The Belfry adding another Irish make to the Ryder Cup history books. 

Surprisingly I have never spoken to any of the other three about the Ryder Cup in all the years. Maybe because it wasn’t good for my game. 

But maybe I should because it was such a great moment for a lot of people.

Philip Walton ©

Related articles by Zemanta