Thursday, September 30, 2010

Jimenez: The tension is growing


Miguel Angel Jiménez admits he has a ‘knot in his stomach’ with one day to go until the start of The 2010 Ryder Cup, but is motivated by the increasing tension.

The Spaniard is playing his first Ryder Cup in Europe after three appearances in the United States – in 1999, 2004 and 2008 – having had a hugely successful season so far, winning three times on The European Tour.

As the Teams head out for their final practice session ahead of Friday morning’s fourballs, Jiménez can feel the pressure growing.

“It’s not nervous, it’s tense,” he said. “It’s getting close. There will be tension on the course today and you can feel it. It’s something we are used to. Especially when you get here to The Ryder Cup, all week you feel a knot in your stomach, and tomorrow is getting closer and your knot is getting tight.

“I like to feel that thing – it makes you more motivated, and that’s where you want to be. It’s a good thing. You need to feel things.

“I feel very good. I feel good. I’m playing well and I’m hitting the ball very well and everything you need to do is be yourself and enjoy yourself. The year has been nice to me. I’ve been playing well all through the season, at the start, in the spring, at the beginning of the summer and at the end of the summer. I have been consistent.”

The 46 year old is enjoying playing on ‘home’ soil, particularly as he has already tasted victory at The Celtic Manor Resort, albeit with his win coming on the Roman Road course, not The Twenty Ten.

“It’s nice, especially when you look around and see the public – it’s a different atmosphere. You feel that all these guys are behind you.

“I like it here, not only this golf course but the other golf course, and I come here every year to play, and I like the place and I like the people and I feel good here. And you have the confidence from the way you see yourself playing.”

Jiménez also welcomes another Spaniard being involved in the European Team, with Sergio Garcia one of Captain Colin Montgomerie’s Vice Captains.

Garcia has played in every Ryder Cup since 1999 but has struggled for form in 2010.

“It’s nice,” Jiménez added. “I’ve played with him inside the ropes and supporting the Team. It’s great and it's good for the Team and it’s good also for him to get his motivation back. It’s going to be very nice.”