Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Harrington Keen To Play Full Monty




Padraig Harrington hopes to justify his wildcard pick at this year’s Ryder Cup, and has vowed to work hard to “defend his position”.


“It obviously puts you under a little bit more focus during the week, and brings certain expectations and pressure,” admitted the Dubliner.

Harrington is also more eager than usual to perform at his peak in the practice rounds, in order to prove his worth to the European cause. 

“I’m probably paying a little more attention to how I play in the practice rounds than I normally would at The Ryder Cup,” he said.

“I’m making sure that I go out there and try very hard on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to show that my form is there.”

His first practice round on Tuesday got off to the perfect start, leading European Team Captain Colin Montgomerie to lavish high praise on one of his most experienced charges.

“I know what Padraig can do and that’s why he was picked,” Montgomerie said. “He’s had three eagles out there and is playing the best golf of my team right now.”

Harrington agreed he “played well” yesterday, and continued to play well on Wednesday after recovering from a wayward start.

“Today I started poorly, but played well after that. It doesn’t really count for much anyway. On Friday morning, you’ve got to start well and just keep it going.”

Harrington is relishing the prospect of teeing up in his sixth Ryder Cup, and the fact that he has been chosen as a wildcard for the first time has served only to heighten his enthusiasm.

“It definitely makes you more enthusiastic and keen to play your part and do everything you can for the Team,” Harrington said.

“I’m very much amongst the Team, and I want to help out as much as I can. I’m definitely putting in the effort off the golf course and the Team room just to give a little bit more.”

Enhanced by Zemanta